Dear David,

I value this list because it attempts (though not always successfully) to be socially inclusive. This means that some of us, who have one sort of connection to community psychology, will push it one way, others another. I like this, even though it inevitably causes tensions. I agree that  we should attempt to keep this in some sort of balance, and to critique the ideas expressed. I have learned a lot, and usually from people whose perspectives are different to mine.

 Like you, I want to contribute to community psychological sets of understandings – but given our current consensus (if it is one)  that there are many definitions of community psychology, I am puzzled by what you mean here. There seems to be an implication that certain postings will count as community psychology, whereas others won’t. By whose definition would this be, then? Maybe we DO need a single definition that we could check off our contributions against? But if so, let’s reach an agreement on it, rather than it being implicit.

Meantime, I am concerned that some people could be silenced because they are worried that they will be insufficiently attuned to the “correct” line. For example, I notice ( and I I know I;m repeating myself here) that women post less than men here. And I wonder, as well, whether there tends to be a bit of a white western bias too? I’d really value some broader cultural inputs.

Annie

Annie Mitchell

Clinical Director,

Doctorate in Clinical Psychology,

School of Applied Psychosocial Studies,

Faculty of Health and Social Work,

University of Plymouth,

Peninsula Allied Health Collaboration,

Derriford Road,

Plymouth,

Devon

PL6 8BH

Phone  Programme Administrators:
Jane Murch, Emma Hellingsworth

01752 233786

Please note I  work 3 days per week:

usually Monday, Tuesday & either Wednesday or Thursday.