Dear Gary,

We shall have to provide full on-site upgrade capability. For what most
users need there should be no problem, but full capability includes e.g.
upgrading from five year old data or downgrading to an older version. That
kind of thing 1) may only be provided in Python, and 2) may require some
more complex installation. The web service should be a more user friendly
alternative. But none of this is written yet.

Jython is probably not the way to go. It has jyst caught up with Python
2.2, and we shall be using Python 2.4 minimum as from the next release,
because we need some of their functionality. Also Jython itself says it is
twice as slow as Python.

Yours,

Rasmus

Dr. Rasmus H. Fogh                  Email: [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge,
80 Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1GA, UK.     FAX (01223)766002