Hi all,

how do you schedule your daily server backups?

Last time I enquired from BB support they recommended shutting down the
database and the application and doing a total cold backup. Because of
the division in BB between the database and the O/S file structure, both
servers must be shut down and backed up simultaneously. This is what we
currently do for both the Solaris/Oracle database server and the Solaris
application server. We do a cold copy of the files to disk then restart
BB and write to tape later.

This is fine except that it requires a couple of hours downtime
overnight, which is becoming a problem for overseas students in other
time zones.

How do other people manage this?
Is there a way to do server-level backups without shutting down BB?
Do you use hot-backups, cold backups? Incrementals or full backups?

We could do Oracle hot backups for the D/B server but the tortuous
application file system is the biggest problem. We've a hierarchical
directory structure of 40,000 course folders containing a million files!

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Anthony Kearney
Learning and Information Services