Hi all,

I’m not sure if anyone else has seen or experienced this problem…

We introduced Basic Portfolios to a group of postgraduate students this week: they were asked by their tutor to put documents in their Content Collection, display them in their portfolios (using the “Add Content” button so the links to them display in the main menu) and then share the portfolios with the tutor.

What the tutor noticed and reported back to me was that some of the links to the documents in her students’ portfolios did not display in the usual bold format and could not be clicked. The link titles displayed but only as plain text. There didn’t seem to be any pattern to this; while in some portfolios, all the “links” were displayed in this way, in others, some of the links worked while others didn’t and then further portfolios we checked did not have the problem at all.

After spending some time doing some testing, I seem to have found a pattern.

If the student adds content to the portfolio and then shares it, there’s no problem; all the links will work fine. However, any content added to the portfolio after sharing, will not be accessible to the recipients. Unless that is you actively give the recipient individual permission to open the file – then the link is activated!

I should point out that, to my knowledge, we didn’t experience these problems last year.

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar. If not and you’re planning on using the Basic Portfolio feature soon, it might be worth doing some testing to see if you get the same result. If it’s not clear I’m happy to explain further and send screenshots.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Guy

Guy Pursey

e-Learning Support Officer

CDoTL (Centre for the Development of Teaching and Learning)

Room 4, HumSS

Whiteknights

University of Reading

0118 378 6098

P Please consider the environment before printing this email