From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Peter King
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:22 PM
Subject: Rifleman's Tunic Buttons?

I have failed to find a link to the picture of the button.  However:

Hudson's Bay Company was a trading company, not a manufacturing company.  It may possibly have commissioned the production of goods suitable for its market.  I believe its records survive but are in Canada.  Nevertheless, they are likely merely to show that buttons were obtained from a London merchant, whether acting as principal or as a factor for a manufacturer elsewhere.

In this period, the American economy was comparatively unsophisticated, though manufactures were developing in the northern states, but are most unlikely to have exported manufactured products to England.  I think there is a much simpler explanation, that the button was made in Birmingham.

Buttons are an element of the Birmingham 'toy' trade, which made a wide variety of metal goods for ornament and adornment.  If there are similarities between a Combe Martin button and American Civil War buttons (or even buttons supplied by the Hudson's Bay Company to Canada), it is likely to be because they were all made in Birmingham.

Peter King
49, Stourbridge Road,
Hagley,
Stourbridge