Jay,
I don't have my references with me, but I think the data can be found in one of the ISIS trials, perhaps ISIS-2. Try
ISIS-2 Randomized trial of intravenous streptokinase, oral aspirin, both or neither among 17,187 cases of suspected acute myocardial infarction. Lancet 1988 ii: 349-360.

John Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

>>> Jay Warner <[log in to unmask]> 10/15/2007 11:11 AM >>>
Dear Dr. Sorkin,

Clearly, you have been around this block of dubious research more
than once.  So now you will need to give us a ref. to Prof. Petro's
analysis, if only so we can rub it in to those who haven't been
there.  :)

I'll shortly try a google on "Petro" to see what happens.  But when
clearly idiotic questions are raised, and demonstrated such, we need
to have the definitive analysis handy.

Cheers,
Jay
On Oct 15, 2007, at 9:28:08 AM, John Sorkin wrote:

> Adaikalavan,
> Let us assume that you find an association, what will you say about
> it? Any significant result you might find is undoubtedly a type I
> error. It is
> an abuse of statistics to test a clearly incorrect and impossible
> hypothesis. By doing so, you give a patina of truth to
> pseudoscience, and if you
> report a significant finding diminish the trust the public will
> have in legitimate statistical analyses. You might have a
> legitimate reason to perform the test you describe (such as Prof.
> Peto's test of astrological sign and outcome that was performed to
> demonstrate to journal editors, and journal readers the hazards of
> ill-conceived post-hoc subgroup analyses) but you have not given
> one in your posting. I urge you to look (and think)  before you
> leap . . .
> John
>

> John Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
> Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
> University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
> Baltimore VA Medical Center
> 10 North Greene Street
> GRECC (BT/18/GR)
> Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
> (Phone) 410-605-7119
> (Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)
>
> Szydlo, Richard M wrote:
>>
>> I know this is far fetched, but I would like to see if a patient's
>> astrological star sign is in anyway associated with survival......
>>
>> Does anyone have a macro for SPSS / Excel / SAS / Anything else -
>> that
>> will convert a date of birth to the appropriate astrological star
>> sign.... I could of course do it by hand, but 600 date of births will
>> take me a long time!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Richard Szydlo
>> Imperial College School of Medicine
>> London, UK
>>

> Confidentiality Statement:
> This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use
> of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
> privileged information.  Any unauthorized use, disclosure or
> distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,
> please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of
> the original message.

Jay Warner
Principal Scientist
Warner Consulting, Inc.
4444 North Green Bay Road
Racine, WI 53404-1216
USA

Ph:       262.634.9100
Fax:     262.681.1133
email:  [log in to unmask]
web:    www.a2q.com

The A2Q Method (tm) -- What do you want to improve today?