From: M.A.Watkinson
Sent: 15 October 2007 17:32
To: 'Academic, financial or space planning in UK universities'
Subject: RE: HEFCE consultation on ELQs

Hi Mike and others

The 'unknown level' category is fraught with difficulties, mainly because these codes are being used for purposes for which they are not intended.  First, there is no basis for assuming that some of these qualifications are of HE level (esp codes 56, 93, and 99).  Second, even when an HE equivalence is known or can be assumed, there is no basis for assuming that a given proportion of such students are studying an ELQ and should therefore be rendered unfundable (eg an equally valid assumption would be that students with codes 21 and 22 would have cited an existing HE qualification if they had one). Third, even where an HE equivalent qualification is known or assumed, it cannot be assumed that the student had acquired it with support from public funds (esp a student holding a professional qualification). Finally, since students and staff have not been told that financial consequences rest on their choice of code, there is no certainty that the coding system has been used accurately.  For all these reasons, it would be safer and reasonable to dispense with the 'unknown level' category (apart possibly from code 99) and treat all these students as 'other' and therefore fundable.

Martin.

Martin Watkinson

Director of Strategy

The Open University