________________________________

From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jenny Woodhouse
Sent: 02 October 2007 09:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: query

We had this issue with a clinical medic on a hospital placement (could
she breastfeed during the working day and the answer there was  no - in
line with the local staff policy. On reflection I agreed with this.
We've had other questions about bringing babies to training events etc,
and we've generally agreed that it's not really fair to baby, other
participants, and probably the mother herself.    I think expressing
milk (providing private space, time, and refrigeration) is a different
issue; though I can't put my finger on regulations I think there is
something somewhere which says that this should be provided for
employees and by extension we should try to do the same for students.

I think breastfeeding in public is a completely separate question -
could be defined as a leisure activity in that if you can't feed the
baby you can't go out anywhere for long.

Jenny