Just following on from the posting about single equality schemes.

I know that in Scotland these have not, on the whole, been well done by organisations which have tried it.  However, the three former commissions (DRC, CRE, EOC) got together to publish a joint paper on what an SES would need to achieve.  They do point out they are not 'recommending' this approach, but knew many organisations in Scotland were interested in this area.

There is no requirement to be able to 'pull out' a DES, GES or RES, as long as the document meets all the legal requirements of each statute and code there is no specification that it must be separate.  Each of the three former commissions had a different view on the desirability and effectiveness of SES, but my guess is the EHRC would find it hard to take a negative position when part of their remit is to promote better integration.

I've attached the summary, which is short and useful guidance we use a lot in staff training.  Race and Disability Duties are the same in Scotland as in England and Wales, but I am sure you will be aware the Scottish Gender Duty is slightly different.

Kind regards,

Neil

Neil Alan Stevenson LL.B. (Hons), M.Sc.
Deputy Director, Education & Training
Head of Diversity

The Law Society of Scotland
26 Drumsheugh Gardens, Edinburgh, EH3 7YR

T:  0131 476 8105
F: 0131 225 2934
Textphone: 0131 476 8359