haemolysis indices

Dear All

We are currently using haemolysis indices on Abbott Architect analysers in an attempt to apply some science to the previous rather subjective eyeballing technique.

On the basis of the 'level' of haemolysis, we obliterate and comment results for groups of tests identified as sensitive in the manufacturer's information. The process is carried out on the LIMS so raw results are still available on the analyser.

This has caused particular upset amongst the paediatricians who all but demand the right  would like to see the result so that they can make their own decision regarding its relevance.  I should add that if the result is contrary to the expected interference (eg low potassium, magnesium or phosphate in the light of haemolysis) the result is reported and extra attention is drawn to the result.

My view is that we should not report results which are known to have an error-factor, in the same way that results from a drip arm should all be ignored.

Any other views ?

with best wishes

Richard

Richard Mainwaring-Burton

Consultant Biochemist

Queen Mary's Hospital

Sidcup, Kent

020-8308-3084

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/