We have done some eel thyroxines and testosterones in the past ;->

Bart Ballieux

Leiden, The Netherlands

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tetlow Lesley (RW3) CM&MC Manchester
Sent: vrijdag 12 oktober 2007 12:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Non-human samples

We do occasional vetinary work.  We always point out that our analysers are not calibrated/QC checked with animal material.  Presumably:

·         This would apply to any lab (including private labs) not specifically set up to support vetinary services.

·         Even if the lab was dedicated to animal work would you set up separate calibrations/QC for every farm animal, domestic animal etc?

·         We are frequently called upon to measure analytes in human fluids by methods not specifically designed and set up for fluid analysis.

·         This is a clinical/scientific decision and in this Trust the managers would defer to us.

Lesley Tetlow

Consultant Clinical Scientist

Manchester Children’s Hospitals