Has omeprazole use been excluded? There have been two published case
reports of this association with hypomagnesaemia and we have seen two
cases locally that we hope to publish.

See:

Epstein M, McGrath S, Law F. Proton-pump inhibitors and hypomagnesemic
hypoparathyroidism. N Engl J Med 2006;355:1834-6.

regards
Edmund

Dr Edmund Lamb PhD FRCPath
Consultant Clinical Scientist (Biochemistry) and Head of Department
Department of Clinical Biochemistry,
East Kent Hospitals NHS Trust,
Kent and Canterbury Hospital,
Ethelbert Road, Canterbury,
Kent CT1 3NG, UK
Tel: (44) 01227-766877 extn 74736
Fax: (44) 01227-783077

>>> Ian Young <[log in to unmask]> 10/01/07 9:53 pm >>>
Profound hypomagnesaemiaDear all

I look after two adult patients with significant recurrent
hypomagnesaemia of this kind.  I think that the cause is a selective
renal Mg leak in both cases.  The TRPM6 cases have a renal leak as well
as the GI problem (see Nature Genetics  31, 171 - 174 (2002).  The
urinary Mg results are difficult to interpret, as renal Mg absorption
may occur once serum Mg drops below a threshold value.  The Nature paper
above shows results of an Mg loading test which would be a useful
investigation if you wanted to investigate further. (Coincidentally I
saw a third patient this morning, who I have yet to investigate.  His
mother apparently had Mg problems and was on oral supplements for many
years).

If I cannot maintain serum Mg at a sufficient level top prevent
symptoms on oral supplements, I use self-administered subcutaneous
fluids containing Mg at home.  I have a number of short bowel patients
with electrolyte abnormalities on this regimen (as well as both the
renal leak patients mentioned above) and it has been useful in
preventing symptoms.

Best wishes

Ian

IS Young
Professor of Medicine, Queen's University Belfast
Associate Medical Director (Research and Development), Belfast Health
and Social Care Trust

Wellcome Research Laboratories
Top Floor, Institute of Clinical Science A Block,
Royal Victoria Hospital
Grosvenor Road
Belfast BT12 6BJ
Northern Ireland