Apologies for cross-posting. Please post everywhere you can imagine it having an audience.

Call for Papers:  Performance and Esotericism

As it began to emerge as a distinct academic field, performance studies was intensely concerned with the social practice of ritual, a term that likewise carries particular resonance across several areas within the newly emergent field of esotericism. For a panel at the Association for the Study of Esotericism biannual conference—May 29-June 1 in Charleston, SC—we are seeking papers that focus on intersections of performance and esotericism.  In particular, we are interested in papers that utilize performance studies perspectives and methodologies to examine relations of esotericism and “nature” (broadly conceived).  Topics may include, but are by no means limited to: magical ritual; performativity, Nature, and esoteric theory; “esoteric theatres;” and performing Esotericism as an academic discipline.  We especially welcome submissions from junior scholars and graduate students.

Please send abstracts to Lance Gharavi at [log in to unmask] by December 1.

For more information on the ASE as well as the main conference call for papers, please see our website at www.aseweb.org <http://www.aseweb.org>. In the coming weeks, additional information on the 2008 ASE conference—location, hotels, conference and membership registration, etc.—will be posted on this website.   This event is co-sponsored with the Department of Religious Studies, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, and the Provost Office of the College of Charleston, and the International Society for the Study of Religion, Nature, and Culture (ISSRNC), administered at the University of Florida, http://religionandnature.com/society.

--
Christopher I. Lehrich
Assistant Professor of Religion