Advice required for another night working issue.

I have recently been asked by management to see a qualified nurse who
has expressed concerns that night work might pre-dispose her to cancer
of the breast or colon.

I am aware that there has been some research around this but I haven't
found definitive evidence that it is so.  The nurse has worked nights
regularly for 18 years and is reluctant to move to days because of the
financial implications. She does undertake a short period on days every
three months to try to ensure her knowledge is current. My query is are
list members aware of a need to restrict the amount of night work or of
connections with incidents of cancer.

Also during her appointment she requested the health assessment under
H&S legislation. I have routinely undertaken a relatively basic
questionnaire for night workers and followed it through as necessary but
not offered much else. She asked about availability of cholesterol
screening, a mammogram, ECG, full blood count etc. What do others
undertake as a night worker health assessment?

Looking forward to responses
Sandy

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

FORTHCOMING CONFERENCES AND EDUCATIONAL EVENTS:

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS
http://OHJobs.drmaze.net

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSING EDUCATION
http://www.aohne.org.uk