Apologies for cross-postings

________________________

CALL FOR PAPERS/POSTERS: APPROACHING THE CITY

A Two-day Conference and Open Forum Discussion Organised by the

RGS-IBG Urban Geography Research Group

Thursday 1st and Friday 2nd November 2007

Venue: St. Mary’s, Sheffield (an inclusive community facility)

http://www.stmarys-church.co.uk/

-   Why is contemporary urban geography characterised by a wide range of different approaches?

-   What difference do they make to our conception of the city and our urban research?

-   What are the advantages and disadvantages of the various approaches?

-   To what extent do they complement or contradict one another?

This two-day event will provide a forum for discussion and debate around the wide range of different approaches that are shaping our understanding of urban geographies: actor-network theory, feminism, non-representational theory, political economy, post-colonialism, postmodernism, poststructuralism, psychoanalysis, queer theory to name but a few.

To foster discussion the event is organised around four keynote addresses on different approaches, shorter position papers, postgraduate poster presentations, and group discussion.

We welcome offers of position papers from any urban researchers who wish to advance a particular approach to the city. We also welcome poster presentations from postgraduates who are not presenting a paper (poster presentations are only open to postgraduates).

Confirmed Keynote Speakers:

-   Professor Marcus Doel, Swansea University

-   Professor Jane Jacobs, Edinburgh University

-   Professor Steve Pile, Open University

-   Professor Kevin Ward, Manchester University

Registration Fee: £40 waged; £10 unwaged/postgraduate

To contribute a short PAPER (20 minutes, including questions) or a POSTER (or to simply attend the event) please complete the form available at the 2007 UGRG Annual Conference website: http://www.urban-geography.org.uk

The submission deadline for paper or poster presenters is September 30th; the registration deadline for the event is October 20th.

Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces. It's easy! Try it! _______________________________________________________ [log in to unmask] An urban geography discussion and announcement forum List Archives: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/URB-GEOG-FORUM Maintained by: RGS-IBG Urban Geography Research Group UGRG Home Page: http://www.urban-geography.org.uk