The ICO has revised the CCTV code of practice, originally issued in 2000, to take account of legal and technical developments and feedback from CCTV users. We are now undertaking a public consultation exercise on the revised Code.

The code provides good practice advice for those involved in operating CCTV and other devices which view or record images of individuals. Following the good practice standards in this code should help ensure that those capturing images of individuals remain within the law, mean that the images that are captured are usable, and help to reassure those whose images are being captured.

We have involved CCTV operators and practitioners in the revision of the code and have taken into account their experiences of using the previous code of practice. The revised code also builds upon research the ICO has commissioned into public attitudes to surveillance technologies and research on ‘surveillance society’ issues more generally.

The consultation will close on 31 October. We welcome comments and opinions from anyone with an interest or with experience in the use of CCTV. The draft code and response form can be found on our website at http://www.ico.gov.uk/Home/about_us/consultations/our_consultations.aspx

Jonathan Kay
Corporate Support Unit
01625 545 314

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail (and any attachment), please inform the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies. Unauthorised access, use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.

Communication by Internet e-mail is not secure as messages can be intercepted and read by someone else. Therefore we strongly advise you not to e-mail any information which if disclosed to unrelated third parties would be likely to cause you distress If you have an enquiry of this nature please provide a postal address to allow us to communicate with you in a more secure way. If you want us to respond by e-mail you must realise that there can be no guarantee of privacy.

Any e-mail including its content may be monitored and used by the Information Commissioner's Office for reasons of security and for monitoring internal compliance with the office policy on staff use. This includes the content of e-mails. E-mail monitoring / blocking software may also be used. Please be aware that you have a responsibility to ensure that any e-mail you write or forward is within the bounds of the law.

The Information Commissioner's office cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and amended and you should perform your own virus checks.

http://www.ico.gov.uk or e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

Tel: 01625 545 700 Fax: 01625 524 510

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet Anti-Virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2006/04/0007.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.
**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to <[log in to unmask]>: UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************