Hi Stephen,

> - If I have SPM5 in the matlab path, and then load SPM, I no longer get
> the unknown class error.  But if I save SPM to SPM.mat, it's still much
> smaller than it was before I loaded it.

Just a hunch, but could it be that you use Matlab > 7 or even > 7.3 ?
The way that Matlab saves variables to disk changes with its versions,
and it may be that spm saved SPM.mat as an older version (for example,
see spm_fmri_design.m:

if save_SPM
     %-End: Save SPM.mat

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     fprintf('\t%-32s:\n ','Saving fMRI design')
     %-#
     if spm_matlab_version_chk('7') >= 0,
         save('SPM', 'SPM', '-V6');
     else
         save('SPM', 'SPM');
     end;
     fprintf('%30s\n','...SPM.mat saved');
end

SPM seems to choose the appropriate Matlab version that you run it on,
but as things changed again in 7.4, this new way to save files may not
be implemented yet (and may result in smaller files if you do it
manually). Perhaps this is the reason behind this admittedly weird
behavior.

Best,
Marko
Marko Wilke                                            (Dr.med./M.D.)

Universitäts-Kinderklinik              University Children's Hospital
Abt. III (Neuropädiatrie)             Dept. III (Pediatric neurology)
             Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 1, D - 72076 Tübingen
Tel.: (+49) 07071 29-83416                   Fax: (+49) 07071 29-5473