Dear BS,
The nonlinear registration that is currently in SPM only uses a small number
of parameters, so it is not able to estimate very detailed deformations.  Dan
Rueckert's algorithm gives more detailed deformations, so it would be a
possibility.  The HAMMER algorithm is one of the widely used approaches for
nonlinear registration
https://www.rad.upenn.edu/sbia/software/index.html#hammer , and most users
say it gives good results.  In order to obtain the most meaningful
parameterisation of brain shapes, then I would opt for an algorithm such as
LDDMM - but I'm not aware of there being a freely available implementation of
this.

Among the next set of updates for SPM5, there will be some new nonlinear image
registration software that could be useful for your project.  I'm currently
making a number of changes to the code, but I hope it should be available for
general use fairly soon.  The algorithms are described in my recent
NeuroImage paper.

For the most unbiased results, I would suggest a template that is the average
shape and intensity of your subjects.  Personally, I prefer to simultaneously
match GM with GM, WM with WM and background with background, rather than
match the intensities to some template image.  The toolbox will use this
approach by default.

My favoured approach for analysing deformation fields involves the use of
multivariate pattern recognition procedures such as SVMs or Gaussian Process
models.  Alternatively - depending on the aims of your analysis, you could
just run SPM on the Jacobian determinants - or do a VBM study that makes use
of the more accurate registration.

Best regards,
-John