Todd,

My question is are the values contained in the output ResMS.img
files scaled and by what value?

Yes, they are scaled by (1/ effective degrees of freedom) = (1/trRV) =
(1/SPM.xX.X)

I want to retrieve just the raw
residual sum of squares values and I imagine they are in the ResMS
files either multiplied by a scale factor or not.  Note:  By raw
residual sum of squares I mean ResSS = (Y(actual image values) -
Y(estimated image values)) or i.e. the sum(residuals^2))

The following  generates the actual ResSS.  From your stats directory run
this code:
load SPM.mat
trRV = SPM.xX.trRV;

V = spm_vol('ResMS.img');
ResMS = spm_read_vols(V);

ResSS = ResMS .* trRV;

P.fname = 'ResSS.img';
P.mat = V.mat; P.dt = V.dt; P.dim = V.dim;
P.pinfo = [1 0 0]';

P = spm_create_vol(P);
for i=1:P.dim(3)
    spm_write_plane( P , ResSS( : , : , i ) , i );
end

Good  luck,
Brian