Hello Tom,

Thank you so much for your input.

1) Wouldn't one expect the covariance estimates to be more reliable?

> The covariance estimates are based on the residuals, and if the models are
> different you'll have different residuals.

 Ah... I thought - silly me - that the covariance was estimated from the
data. So I was thinking that different covariance estimates were a
consequence of poor estimation, since I got two very similar W's and one
with a different offset (see image in my original e-mail).

3) Is it OK to use the two out of three criterion to select a more correct
> > whitening matrix?
>

> I'm not sure what criterion you're referring to.  To use R^2 or Extra Sums
> of Squares for model comparisons the models must be nested.  As you've
> discovered, the different estimated W's means that the models are not
> nested.  Tools for non-nested model comparisons include AIC and BIC.

It's a very unscientific criterion, actually. I was thinking the W matrix
should be the same for all models, so getting two very similar W's on three
models, I was guessing that the "true" W would be the one that came up
twice! I now understand I was completely wrong...

However, I don't quite understand why aren't the models nested. The "whole"
design matrix includes movement parameters as covariates. I read somewhere
on the list that the order of the regressors in the design matrix wasn't
interchangeable, although it is not obvious to my why. If I hadn't included
the movement parameters in the model, would the models be nested then?

Perhaps a simpler way forward is to, just for the purposes of model
> selection, is to turn off autocorrelation modeling, pick the best model,
> then run it again with autocorrelation modeling.

Indeed. Actually, I'm using SPMd to assess model validity and R^2 to assess
model fit. When the model validity is not degraded by adding a regressor
(time derivative, for instance) I go on and compare fits. Just thought you
would like to know how SPMd is revealing itself useful!

Thanks again.

Rute