Following Fatima's lead, and at Ged's suggestion, here is a picture of
my design matrix.

As you can see, I've specified a main effect for subject, producing the
19, staggered, step-like columns. After these, there are four columns
(the modeled interaction). The first two columns refer to the first
level of the between-subjects effect. The last two columns refer to the
second level of the between-subjects effect. Columns 1 and 3 refer to
the first level of the within-subjects effect; Columns 2 and 4 refer to
the second level of the within-subjects effect.

I can test both of the within-subjects contrasts:
[1 -1 1 -1]
[-1 1 -1 1]

I can test both of the interaction's contrasts:
[1 -1 -1 1]
[-1 1 1 -1]

I can NOT test either of the between-subjects contratsts:
[1 1 -1 -1]
[-1 -1 1 1]

the first 19 columns are all weighted with 0's (preceding the 4
contrast weights, above).

Markus Lonsdale also posted recently with a similar problem in a PET
study, I've copied his post below (sorry I couldn't figure out how to
paste the URL without it going through my username):

Hi
we try to analyse a PET study with 2 groups of subjects in 2
conditions. The idea is to look at group differences in each condition
as well as in the response to the conditions.

We have tried to model this as flexible factorial, 2 factors
(subjects, conditions), 2 main effects (subjects, conditions) with an
interaction between the two. (The idea is to define a contrast where
we can "pick out" the subjects according to their group.)

However, no contrasts are accepted by the contrast manager, not even
the simple contrast "condition1 - condition2"!?!

Any help is appreciated ...

Markus

Thanks,
Nick