Ciara,
You could also take a look at the SPM installation wiki pages.  I'm guessing
that because of your error you have a 64-bit system.  Check out this link
for further instructions on recompiling the SPM5 mex files for 64-bit
installations:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/SPM/Installation_on_64bit_Linux

Good luck,
Brian