I believe that Paul Oskar Kristeller expressed the opinion that the plays of Shakespeare were written by another man of the same name.

Lauren

At 10:27 AM 9/19/2007, you wrote:

It does make sense that Greville wrote some of Shakespeare's works.  Since Shakespeare was so busy translating the King James Bible, he would hardly have had the time for sonnets.  But then, who wrote Greville's poems?  Perhaps Marlowe.  There's the dating problem, but I'm sure there's a way around it.  Greville's ghost could no doubt solve the conundrum for us, if we can interrupt one of his nightly rounds.

By the way, did list members catch the news in the NYTimes that the first graduate program in Shakespeare Authorship Studies is being convened at Brunel University in London?  And a "Statement of Reasonable Doubt" in the Stratfordian hyphothesis has been signed by the usual suspects: Derek Jacobi, Mark Rylance, etc.  I have a theory of my own that the celebrated roles of Derek Jacobi (I, Claudius, Cadfael, Underworld: Evolution) were actually performed by someone else.  In some cases, he might actually support the theory himself.  The truth will out.

Hannibal

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Book Review Editor and Associate Editor, Reformation

Mailing Address (2007-2009):

The Folger Shakespeare Library
201 Capitol Street SE
Washington, DC 20003