Here are the quotations for this week (September 9th to 15th):

1. …Despair upon despair, misery upon misery, fear after fear, each causing their distinct and separate woe, packed in upon me for an unrecorded length of time, until at last they blurred together, and I heard a click in my brain like the click in the ear when one descends in a diving bell, and I knew that …for the moment, the worst was at an end…

2. …Shahbaz Khan began to call again: 'They are below us. I can see them. For the pity of God come over to me, Hafiz Ullah ! My father slew ten of them. Come over !'
Hafiz Ullah answered in a very loud voice, 'Mine was guiltless. Hear ye, men of the Night, neither my father nor my blood had any part in that sin. Bear thou thine own punishment, Shahbaz Khan.'…

3. …I conceived the whole pressure of our dead of the Boer War, flickering and reforming as the horizon flickered in the heat; the galloping feet of a single horse, and a voice well-known that passed chanting ribaldry along the flank of a crack battalion … the finale was to be manoeuvres abandoned and a hurrried calling off of all arms by badly frightened Commandants - the men themselves sweating with terror though they knew not why…

The sources of last week's extracts (September 2nd to 8th) are as follows:

1.  (...… She bored through a mass of crackling brushwood, and emerged into an upward-sloping fern glade...)  This is from "Steam Tactics" in Traffics and Discoveries.

2.  (...''It falls away from my lodge gates, dead straight, three quarters of a mile. I'd defy anyone to resist it.'...)  This is from "The Village that Voted the Earth was Flat" in A Diversity of Creatures.

3.  (...He slammed the door at the precise moment when the car, all brakes set, bunted the abandoned bicycle, shattering three of the bonnet-boxes...)  This is from "The Vortex" in A Diversity of Creatures.
Good wishes to all, John R