Dear RM listserv,

Next year will be the 25th anniversary of the foundation of the Records Management Society.

To celebrate we are taking the 2008 annual conference to Edinburgh.  We will be in the Edinburgh Sheraton, a stunning spa hotel in the centre of one of the most scenic, historic and vibrant cities in Europe.

The conference runs from the evening of Sunday 20 April to Tuesday 22 April, so please put those dates in your diary!

The theme for the conference will be:

Records Management:  The State of the Art

Indicative session titles and contents are:

The 21st century records manager

  • Spreading records management literacy inside your organisation
  • Managing networks of records management champions
  • Influencing skills and managing change

EDRM and beyond:

  • Practitioners’ experience in managing records with EDRM, and without EDRM
  • The integration of EDRM with other types of information system
  • Where is EDRM going?

Learning from other sectors

Your chance to learn what is going on with records management in other sectors of the economy:

  • Private Sector (Financial Services, Pharmaceutical, Oil and Gas, Construction)
  • Central Government,
  • Local Government
  • Higher Education

Key debates in records management

  • Is the jury still out on EDRM?
  • Will search do away with the need for classification?
  • How relevant and useful is recent academic research into records management?

Being in Scotland’s capital will also allow us the opportunity for site visits to see how some of the nation’s most important institutions are tackling their records management challenges.

Keep the 19 to 21 April 2008 clear.  And if there is anyone you would particularly like to hear speak at Conference, or burning topics you would like to hear discussed, then please let me know!

With best wishes

James

On behalf of the RMS Conference Committee

James Lappin, Roger Gajadhar, Paul Dodgson, Robin Smith, Heather Jack, Alison North