In principal Id agree with this, though 'Health and Safety' as a concept is
not one which is always used nowadays in the spirit of stopping stupid
people killing themselves. For example, in the case of the venue Im working
in this week the phrase 'Health and Safety' is really short-hand for
'the-less-we-let-you-do-the-less-risk-we-have-of-having-to-clear-something-up'.
In this sense its little more than a device to articulate the answer 'no'
without having to debate it in further or seem responsible. Not my fault
Guv', its Health and Safety, Innit.

As a slight aside, on my first day of proper grown up engineering in oil and
gas whilst I was on the official Health and Safety (please note: these words
must always be capitalised, Heavens knows they've earned our respect) of the
dock of which we were based, the fractionally over-zealous officer tripped
over his own feet and fell head first into the mercifully flooded dock. As
lessons go, it worked pretty well on me. When I left my job there he was
still the only person to ever fall in the dock, something that I really feel
those '363 days without an accident' signs should detail exhaustively.

Lets be careful out there people.

Matt B.

MATT BAGLEY BEng(Hons), MA
Tall Person That's Really Good at Inspiring People to Become Cool Things
(Even if They Don't Want To Become Cool Things).
CAMOUFLAGED LEARNING | EDUCATION THROUGH ACTION
WWW.CAMOUFLAGED-LEARNING.COM
phone - 01493 393980| mobile - 077601 78040