At our BERA Practitioner-Researcher SIG Business meeting on the 7th September  Lori Beckett was elected as Convenor of our SIG for the next three years and there was much praise for Brian's contribution as Convenor over the last three years.  At the Practitioner-Researcher day on Saturday, Anne Campbell chaired the day and thanked Brenda Taggart for the excellent conference organisation. I think that all those present valued highly the opportunity to listen to Susan Groundwater Smith's keynote and the responses (including Je Kan's) and to share ideas in our Table conversations.  There will be a Practitioner-Research Day on the 6th September at the 2008 BERA Annual Conference at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh.

Dear Lori and Anne - if you would like to join the practitioner-researcher e-list just go to:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=bera-practitioner-researcher&A=1

If you tick the mail delivery temporarily disabled box this means that e-mails do not come to your inbox but are stored along with everyone else's e-mail in the archives. When you have joined you can access the archives at any time at:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=BERA-PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHER&D=0&H=0&O=T&T=0&X=7D9AAE237A921E769C&Y=edsajw%40bath.ac.uk

and browse through the contributions and make your own.

In the September 2007 archive there is a section that Lori can use to send round her messages at Convenor of the SIG. The archives are organised monthly.

The details of the 2006-7 e-seminar on WHAT STANDARDS OF JUDGEMENT DO WE USE IN EVALUATING THE QUALITY OF THE EDUCATIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATIONAL THEORIES WE ARE CREATING AS PRACTITIONER-RESEARCHERS?, which concluded on the 31 July 2007, are at:

http://www.jackwhitehead.com/bera06/berapr2007.htm

We did not discuss a theme for the 2007-8 e-seminar at the Business Meeting so do let's all share our ideas about a theme.

Love Jack.
When Martin Dobson, a colleague, died in 2002 the last thing he said to me was 'Give my Love to the Department'. In the 20 years I'd worked with Martin it was his loving warmth of humanity that I recall with great life affirming pleasure and I'm hoping that in Love Jack we can share this
value of common humanity.

Jack Whitehead          Tel: + 44 1225 826826 extn 5571
Department of Education         Fax: + 44 1225 826113
University of Bath