Joanna et al, thanks for the discussion of "may,"
entailing "might." When I moved to North Carolina
yonks ago, I had to get used to a common southernism:
"might could." And, at the conversational level, I
also had to wade through several different southern
accents. (One day I was walking toward a campus
parking lot behind two, clearly southern women when
one said, "I hope I haven't been towed." Her companion
in turn asked, "Been 'towed' what?")

In my teaching there (at NC State), I found "may" and
"can" often confused and confounded--much more so than
"may" and "might."

Candice

--- POETRYETC automatic digest system

=== message truncated ===