I've long been a minimal hyphenator. I still wince every time I type
'cooperate', but I just grit my teeth and get on with it.

Anyway, noting in passing that the New York Times' comment pages are once
more free (no more premium content), I noticed this today:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/opinion/23margolick.html?ref=opinion>

The Day Louis Armstrong Made Noise

Mr. Lubenow stuck initially to his editor's script, asking Mr. Armstrong to
name his favorite musician. (Bing Crosby, it turned out.) But soon he
brought up Little Rock, and he could not believe what he heard. "It's
getting almost so bad a colored man hasn't got any country," a furious Mr.
Armstrong told him. President Eisenhower, he charged, was "two faced," and
had "no guts." For Governor Faubus, he used a double-barreled hyphenated
expletive, utterly unfit for print.

I wondered, just for a moment whether it was the hyphen that made it unfit
to print.