A really fine interview, Rachel.

My problem, such as it is (I actually like my footnoted usage, feels
like a little mischief) is that most of the available terms are too
quirky for the intended audience, hopefully the general reader (tho
I'd be happy enough with the sargeant reader). "Citizens" or
"residents" of the US doesn't work--would require too many
qualifications. What my first paragraph talks about is a cultural
myth that I have to undermine. It is a cultural myth (or rather a set
of cultural myths), though I know lots of individual US cits or
residents who are less starry-eyed about Cuba than Ry Cooder, and
less dumb than George Bush.

Here's the first bit:

         Relations with Cuba have preoccupied the North American
imagination[i] far more than one might expect, given the island's
small size and minimal power. North American understanding of Cuba
has, at the same time, been obscured by mythologies of both the right
and the left, in which Cubans have also been known to indulge. Cuba
has been imagined as a place simpler than our own, whose people are
less inhibited and more passionate, friendly to strangers and prone
to dancing in the street, a land strangely set apart in a childhood
fantasy, as evidenced by the opulent hulks that cruise its streets.
For those of the left, there's the equally simplified Cuba of heroes,
where the new man, freed from the shackles of exploitive cultures,
has managed to create a society based on cooperation and compassion
rather than greed, despite the opposition of the giant to the north.
         The reality has always been more complex.

[i] With apologies to Canadian readers, I have used "North American"
to indicate a citizen of the United States. Most Latin Americans find
it annoyingly presumptuous  that we call ourselves Americans to the
exclusion of the hemisphere's other inhabitants. Thus far the English
language offers no equivalent to the Spanish  estadounidense,
"unitedstatesian."

Writing anything about Cuba is a tightrope walk.

Mark