Van: Performative Social Science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Elaine Bliss
Verzonden: dinsdag 25 september 2007 2:12
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: introduction

Kia ora

I’d like to introduce myself as a new subscriber to this list.

My name is Elaine Bliss.  I have been on the academic staff of the Department of Geography, Tourism and Environmental Planning at the University of Waikato in New Zealand for approximately 10 years.  I started my PhD in November 2006 and am being co-supervised by someone in my department, and two others in the Department of Screen and Media Studies here.

The tentative (very rough) title of my thesis is ‘Digital storytelling, organizations and the creative city: the narrativization of knowledge in contemporary society”.

I will be exploring, in depth, digital storytelling (as ‘defined’ by the model created by the Centre for Digital Storytelling (CDC) in San Francisco) as a method of creating ‘creative’ urban space.  There are some examples of projects like this in North America and the UK that I am looking at, as well as a potential case study in New Zealand.  At this stage, however, I am still working on refining my theory, methods and questions.

I was very excited when a friend sent me the link to the film “Social Science finding its Muse” by Ben Malaby & Kip Jones.  It is from there that I found this discussion list.

As part of my PhD research I intend to attempt to theorise digital storytelling, particularly the model created by the CDC, as to its transformative potential as a social science method.  I am obviously still thinking through this, but noticed some synergies between my work and what is happening at Bournemouth University

I would appreciate any comments, ideas, suggestions, questions, discussion about my research.  And of course I would be very interested in sharing my ideas and thoughts with anyone else working in this area of performative social science, or related fields.

Kind regards

Elaine