Sarah, I've only time at present to say that, in my experience here at Southampton, the answer to most of your questions is "yes".
in haste
Keith

From: BERA-MENTORING-COACHING [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Fletcher
Sent: 18 September 2007 22:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Mentoring in higher education

Thanks, Keith.  I will follow up the contact here.  I am hoping to find out how structured mentoring schemes are in HE whether they are formal or informal.

Is there a structure to mentoring sessions?  If so does it emulate a model often recommended in ITT - start positively, then cover problems and end positively? How far does it meet (or attempt to meet) the needs of the individual academic?

Does it have a pattern of review from the recent past, a consideration of present activity in relation to discussion and or goals set previously then target setting?  Is it more akin to coaching (i.e. specific skill areas to hone) or holistic mentoring?

Best wishes,

Sarah

"Jones D.K." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
From my experience, the mentoring scheme at Southampton is very similar
to that described in your paper (the one you circulated recently).

In terms of resources, I'm not sure of publicly-available material, but
I know that there are staff development sessions here on the HE
mentoring process that's in place. You might need to contact the HR dept
here if you'd like further info.

Keith

Sarah Fletcher
http://www.TeacherResearch.net

Convenor for BERA's Mentoring and Coaching SIG
Please join in our e-seminar on research mentoring at:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/BERA-TEACHER-RESEARCHER.html