A book on
> illuminated mss. by a very prominent scholar (whose
> name escapes me, I'm not being discreet) identified
> the Annunciation to Zachary (beard and all) as the
> Annunciation to Mary!

This is one of the VERY badly faded wall painting in St Alban's Abbey!

It IS obvious when it is pointed out to you, but the false identification
was a "given" for many generations of guides!

NOT only bearded, but flat-chested and having a tunic slit up the sides in
male fashion ....

This mis-identification occurs in Eileen Roberts: The Wall-painting of St
Albans Abbey. The Fraternity of the Friends, 1993. page 27.

A genuine Annunciation to the BVM occurs on page 26.

The two paintings are on adjacent columns.

Of the 5 painted columns, each has a crucifixion on it and under each is a
painting apparently depicting the BVM: 2 x virgin & child; 1 x [ 2 x]
Annunciations and 1 x Coronation of the BVM. It is NOT really surprising
that the 'odd' picture was misinterpreted until very recently..

Brenda M C.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]