Dear Sophia,

I think the ASSET Languages can be more flexible as there are three levels
within each grade and the exam of each skill taken will lead to separate
certificates.

I entered 22 of my year 9 students to sit in the preliminary listening and
reading papers in the summer term and 5 to sit in the breakthrough listening
and reading.  It was a useful experience and the majority of them will get
certificates except two students whose performance failed to reach
level 4, the
bottom level in preliminary grade.  Even the weakest candidates were
able to get
level 1 or 2 certificate.  Those who progress well to continue GCSE level were
able to get level 4,5, or even 6.  I was pleased with the result.

We use Asset languages Chinese exam for year 9 because we think it
would be good
for the students, especially those who are not carrying on to do
Chinese at GCSE
level, to have a certificate to show their achievement and experience in
learning Chinese.  We do not use it to substitute the GCSE.

Best wishes
Lisa