Dear colleagues

Take it away, a new scheme from Arts Council England has recently launched
aimed at making musical instruments more affordable, particularly for
families, those buying an instrument for the first time and those on lower
incomes. We are keen to work with the network of public libraries to help
us reach our target groups.

The objective of the scheme is to encourage more people to get involved in
learning and playing music by removing the financial barrier that may have
stopped them from doing this previously. The scheme allows individuals to
apply for a loan of up to £2,000 for the purchase of any kind of musical
instrument, and pay it back in nine monthly instalments (with a minimum 10%
deposit), completely interest free.

Take it away loans are available through a network of 85 musical instrument
retailers across England that can provide assistance in choosing an
instrument appropriate for a customer’s needs. Additionally, to help
musical development and manage costs, where available equipment and
services such as music stands, amplifiers, sheet music and tuition can also
be included within the loan. Although the scheme only operates across
stores in England at present, it is open to all UK residents over 18, and
it is possible to use the scheme via mail order if there is not a
participating retailer in your area.

For the scheme to be a real success, and to ensure that our target groups
in particular benefit from the scheme, we need the help of other
organisations to get the message out.

We have a range of marketing materials available for organisations to make
use of in communicating the Take it away message through their existing
networks. It would be great to have a set of our promotional postcards on
display in local libraries, along with one of our posters which direct
people to our website for further information about the scheme.

If you would like to order a supply of posters or postcards, please contact
me at [log in to unmask] or call 020 7973 6434.

With best wishes

Philippa Staff
www.takeitaway.org.uk
Arts Council England