From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Oliver Davy
Sent: 21 September 2007 13:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LIS-PUB-LIBS] Online resources - KnowUK, OUP etc

I don't think anyone (hopefully this includes the purse-string holders) can
seriously doubt the value for money obtained from some online subscriptions
if you compare them to some of the more obscure printed reference works.
According to our cost-per-use analysis, every time one of our borrowers
uses Ancestry, it costs us less than thirty pence.
Oliver Davy
Senior ICT Library Assistant

Central Library
Northumberland Square
North Shields
NE30 1QU

( Tel: (0191) 200 6294
+ Courier Code D1
8  Email: [log in to unmask]

Unless otherwise stated, opinions, conclusions and other information
expressed in this message are personal and not those of North Tyneside
Council.

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           Steven Heywood       |
|         |           <Steven.Heywood@ROCHD|
|         |           ALE.GOV.UK>          |
|         |           Sent by:             |
|         |           "lis-pub-libs: UK    |
|         |           Public Libraries"    |
|         |           <LIS-PUB-LIBS@JISCMAI|
|         |           L.AC.UK>             |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           21/09/2007 13:23     |
|         |           Please respond to    |
|         |           Steven Heywood       |
|         |                                |
|---------+-------------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                         |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                             |
  |       cc:       (bcc: Oliver Davy/ECS/ntc)                                                                              |
  |       Subject:  Re: Online resources - KnowUK, OUP etc                                                                  |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Not too pedantic at all Michael. It's a major pain in the butt setting up a
range of resources which each require the same thing a different way before
they may (or may not in the case of British Standards. Grr!!!) be made
available to our customers.

There are ways of having automatically mediated access to these resources
which could conceivably be developed into something along the lines you
suggest but as things stand it would require each library authority to
invent the wheel for itself, resources permitting. (The last two words
being the killer bringing us back to Helen's original problem, sigh...).

Steven

Steven Heywood
Systems Manager
Rochdale Library Service