The big issue for me is that, as a user, I have to go to each of these
accredited sources individually.  Google goes to zillions of sources at
the same time.

It's just not worth the effort to log into multiple password-controlled
sources.  The Google approach might be a bit hit-and-miss in terms of
quality, but at least it's easy enough to use.  Even with IP-based
access in the library, it's still a pain to go through this process.

I think we'd get more value from a system that provided a single,
customisable frontend to these resources, providing an aggregated search
to cover all of them.  Search once, read results from many sources.

I'd like to see MLA advocating for (and maybe providing?) a much more
joined-up way of using these resources.  I'd also like to see them
imposing standardised reporting requirements on the vendors of these
systems, especially considering the advent of more meaningful
measurement of virtual library visits.

Each resource - the OUP bundle, British Standards, NewsUK etc. -
provides its own statistics and has its own reporting standards.
Wouldn't it be easier to compare usage (and value) if they all reported
in the same way, via the same single access point?  Or am I too
pedantic?

Publicity materials are definitely necessary, but the products need to
meet librarians' *and* users' expectations of quality *and*
functionality.

Michael (who is apparently rather cranky today - sorry!)