Dear Friend,
We have a short, but important window of opportunity to
influence policy and implement two of the Breastfeeding
Manifesto’s objectives. As a supporter of The Breastfeeding
Manifesto I am writing to ask for your urgent help to influence
two important proposed laws which could see the implementation
of objective 5 and 7 of the Manifesto- if you act now. Visit
www.breastfeedingmanifesto.org.uk and send the emails to the
government ministers on the ‘How You Can Help’ page. It’s quick
and easy!

Objective 5-Breastfeeding in public
Objective 5 of the Manifesto is: ‘Develop policy and practice to
support breastfeeding in public places.’ The UK government has
released The Single Equality Bill for consultation. This means
that everyone including organizations and members of the public
can submit their comments on this proposed new law. The Single
Equality Bill covers a range of issues but one of its aims is to
stop the discrimination against breastfeeding mothers in public.
We are delighted that the government is finally addressing this
issue. However, we feel that the bill as it currently stand is
worrying; it only provides protection for those mothers who are
breastfeeding a child up to the age of 12 months. By only
protecting Mothers breastfeeding children under the age of 12
months the UK government is sending out a message that it is
unacceptable to breastfeed a child over the age of one and
therefore suggesting it is acceptable to discriminate against
them. The World Health Organization recommends that babies are
breastfed for two years or beyond and so we believe that the cap
on 12 months could be damaging to children’s health. We need you
to send the email at the bottom of this page
http://www.breastfeedingmanifesto.org.uk/make_your_voice_heard_1.php
to ask the government to change the proposed law to ensure all
women are fully protected to feed their babies in public beyond
their first birthday.

Objective 7- Advertising of Formula Milk
Objective 7 of the Manifesto is: ‘Adopt the World Health
Organization International Code of Marketing of Breast Milk
Substitutes and subsequent relevant Resolutions.’ The Food
Standards Agency is currently consulting regulations for the
advertising and promotion of formula milk. You may have read the
recent press coverage and out cry surrounding OK, the model
Jordan and SMA formula milk. It is this kind of promotion which
we want to stop. However the proposed regulations would not
cover this kind of promotion and so the regulations are
inadequate for protecting parents and babies from the influence
of formula-milk promotion. Parents need reliable information
based on evidence, not commercial pressure from baby milk
companies. Non commerical, independent information will benefit
all parents including those who bottle feed. However, the
proposed regulations are inadequate for the job of protecting
parents and babies from the influence of formula promotion.
Objective 7 of the Manifesto calls for the implementation of The
WHO Code on the Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes and it
provides an excellent model for the law that is required. We
need you to send the email at
http://www.breastfeedingmanifesto.org.uk/make_your_voice_heard_2.php
asking the Food Standards Agency to go further than they propose
to go.
It is only with your help and when we work together that we will
be able to influence the government and have lasting affect on
children’s health.

I urge you to please visit this website and send the emails,
your voice really matters.

Best Wishes

Alison Baum, Co-Founder and Spokesperson, The Breastfeeding
Manifesto Coalition