Many of you may not know this but...the world's first regular, steam-hauled passenger railway ran between Canterbury and Whitstable. It was built by George and Robert Stephenson and opened on 3 May 1830.

Anyway, enough of sounding like a train spotter...

I am currently working with our educational consultant Penny Bernard to develop a KS2 school visits package relating to the opening of the C&W railway, based around the line's first steam engine Invicta (1830) which we have on display.

As well as investigating the engine and how it works, and chatting to a costumed interpreter playing the part of Robert Stephenson we'd like to include a fun D&T element...

Current thinking is around a re-usable, table-based activity where groups of up to 6 children can have a go at 'surveying' and building the line using a simplified 2D map or 3D topographical model, and a range of off the shelf construction materials - possibly including a Brio train set and track.

The idea is that the young engineers have to plan the route from Canterbury to Whitstable and devise means of overcoming some of the challenges faced by early railway engineers such as crossing a river/road, getting over a hill or valley or whether to use a locomotive, a stationary winding engine or horses as motive power!

All in approx 30 minutes.

I wonder has this been done anywhere else as an activity say at a science or ralway museum?

Any ideas and advice gratefully received

best wishes

Martin Crowther
Education Development Manager
Canterbury Museums

PS For those of you who thought first passenger railway was the Stockton and Darlington, it did open five years earlier in 1825, but was predominantly a goods line, and used horses as motive power during its early years. And the Canterbury to Whitstable preceded the Liverpool to Manchester Railway by a good few months. Hope I haven't opened a can of worms!!

DISCLAIMER:
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information. It is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient please destroy or delete the content of this message immediately and notify the sender by reply email. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that does not relate to the official business of Canterbury City Council shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the Council.

This message has been checked for all known viruses.