Thankyou Tim and Saad,

I actually didn't save the directory of the failed exclusion mask attempt, but it was scripted, and I commented out the commands with exclusion so probtrackx.log should have looked exactly like the example...I shall try it again, starting tonight if I can, to confirm that I can replicate the results...perhaps I should try the 4.5 hour one again as well, to make sure it is still behaving and has not gone south with the others...It DOES seem that I have had bad times lately...obviously all of this may take a while, and I wanted to respond with what I had.

(Killed after ~ 20 hours...but was running on e3131)
probtrackx --network --mode=seedmask -x cst_l/masks.txt -l -c 0.2 -S 2000 --steplength=0.5 -P 5000 --avoid=cst_l_exclusion_diff.nii.gz --forcedir -f --opd -s Bed.bedpostX/merged -m Bed.bedpostX/nodif_brain_mask --dir=cst_l
4.5 hours, NO exclusion mask:
[dti_erp/e3131/cst_l_f] dpat% cat probtrackx.log
probtrackx --network --mode=seedmask -x cst_l_f/masks.txt -l -c 0.2 -S 2000 --steplength=0.5 -P 5000 --forcedir -f --opd -s Bed.bedpostX/merged -m Bed.bedpostX/nodif_brain_mask --dir=cst_l_f
And, for e3131, I did a direct comparison of probtrack with and without the -f flag:
With -f was 38 minutes longer...but both were in the 3-4 hour range

Perhaps the machine is misbehaving in some way...as these results seem to make no sense in your experience : (
This is the quad core intel mac with the 64 bit patched universal binaries running on it and 4 gb of ram.

-Dianne