From: Film-Philosophy Salon [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Henry Miller
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 1:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: surveillance

a pretty colossal example is 'THE WIRE'

this is kind of pro-surveillance, if anything, insofar as there are
numerous bureaucratic checks in place so the cops have to be observing
a suspect using the phone if the tap is to be admissible in court,
etc. it's pro-surveillance as more effective than the standard
practice of bringing in low-level perps and trading their sentence off
against them bringing in higher-level targets.

but it also shows up that for surveillance to mean anything, someone
has to be actually listening/watching.

On 9/4/07, Stan Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear Jim,
> Yes, that's it. Just looked more carefully at imdb and found it at once.
> It deals with the increasing instability of the main character thanks to
his voyeurism-strange parallel to The Conversation, perhaps?
> Cheers,
> Stan

*
*