Hi All -

I and a friend are assembling a syllabus to introduce undergrads to the
theoretical 'reading' of cinema. We've settled on a general theme (for now,
"Limits of the Body, Frontiers of Sensation") and have roughly divided our
treatment into three or four areas. We'd really appreciate any
recommendations for any films you can think of that might prove cogent to
the following themes - and I'd be glad to share our syllabus with you once
we've finished it.

(1) The Limits of the Body / Transcending the Body.

We're considering, beyond the obvious (say, Rear Window or some De Palma
films featuring telekinesis / ESP), films featuring cyborgs, disability, and
man-machine interfaces.

(2) The Limits of Perception / Expanding Perception

Surveillance could fall under this, but we'd like to also appeal to
undergraduate interest in drugs, out-of-body experiences, etc.

(3) Sensation and Dissolution of Identity

Anything on the mutability of identity through sex would be interesting
here.

(4) Sensation and Sense

This with a more hermeneutic / phenomenological tinge.

Also, can anyone recommend any films / documentaries about body modification
or related 'subcultures'?

Thanks,

PDB.

*