What might be possible – since I think this originated from the OU – is to take in notes where the information cannot be used to gain any marks.  I used to be an OU examiner for a science module which permitted an OU provided “glossary” to be take in, but the marking scheme would not allocate marks for anything it contained.  That way students had an aide-memoir – and of course any student could take this in.  The only downside I remember was that invigilators would sometimes confiscate it, not knowing their job properly!

The underlying question though that needs to be addressed is – exactly what is the exam for?  There are times when what can be called a disability is exactly the ability that is being tested and so no alternative can be permitted.  Sometimes people just have to face up to their limitations – as happens when they try to get a job – and do things that they are capable of.   However, there are also times when certain types of exams are used simply because its easier on the markers.

John

From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Turner, Paddy
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 4:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Allowance to take 2 A4 sheets in exams

I tend to agree with that, but maybe we're looking at this the wrong way? If the student, as a result of their impairment is being significantly disadvantaged by this exam and giving them the advantage of taking notes in is swinging the pendulum back the other way too far, then maybe an alternative form of assessment would be possible?

May be wholly inappropriate. All our suggestions are based on limited information I guess, but it's just a thought.

cheers

paddy