From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Malcolm Brown
Sent: 07 September 2007 10:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: dyslexic support tutor

I tend to side with Lloyd on this. Although I have often said, like Faye, “they are adults you know” there are some students who do not seek help when they should. Having a named Dyslexia Tutor who contacts them occasionally to see how they are progressing and who often gets them through a difficult patch does, I am sure, help to reduce the drop-out rate. Also, we all know students who believe, mistakenly in some cases, that the computer & gismos they receive under the DSA will overcome their difficulties without the support of a Dyslexia Tutor. Most will, no doubt, get their degree but do we not have a responsibility to the public purse to see that the DSA is not wasted? I’m not sure about the last bit myself.

Malcolm