Hello Steve,

At the seminar in Guildford last week, John Parkin and Jane Hunter
(University of Bolton) gave a paper that showed quite clearly that hilliness
was a major component of effort, and that more effort correlated closely
with less cycling. John suggested, however, that that needn't be the end of
the story, and that there is engineering work to do to find solutions. He
noted, for example, that highway engineers are constrained in terms of the
grades they can specify for motorways.

I would agree with Richard's reply that Portland, Oregon, may be the best
city for making the case. San Francisco, famous for its hills, has been
making significant efforts to  accommodate cyclists, but has not yet broken
into the national rankings. Ditto Seattle, which has an enthusiastic cycling
culture, and is quite hilly, but which can't yet boast great mode share for
bikes.

There are other places in the states that have made a virtue out of
proximity to hilly or mountainous terrain to promote cycling more generally.

For example, Boulder, Colorado, ranks very highly for cycling accommodation.
Although the city itself is not "hilly", it sits on sloping terrain at the
very foot of the Rocky Mountains. A great part of its beauty and enduring
appeal is access to rugged mountain country. Ditto Durango, Colorado, and
Moab, Utah, which are meccas for off-road riders.

Another approach might be to argue for the recreational, tourism, adventure
travel, and economic development spin-offs from investment in cycling
accommodation. For a well documented case study of that approach (albeit
from the very flat Outer Banks of North Carolina), see this paper:
http://atfiles.org/files/pdf/NCbikeinvest.pdf. It describes remarkably quick
payback from infrastructure investment. Build it and they will come.

Most of the League of American Bicyclists' "Bicycle Friendly Communities"
that I'm familiar with are quite flat, though I'm not familiar with every
one of them. (See:
http://www.bicyclefriendlycommunity.org/Images/bfc_pdf_pages/bicycle_friendl
y_community_case_study.pdf)

Hope this is helpful,