Apologies for cross-posting…

Dear all,

There are still a number of places available for the third seminar ‘Senses and Infrastructure’ in the ESRC funded research seminar series ‘Rethinking the urban experience: the sensory production of place’.  Further details can be found at http://www.sensescapes.co.uk/ or download a booking form http://www.surf.salford.ac.uk/documents/SenseCity/Booking_Form_Sense.pdf.  The first two seminars were a great success with lots of opportunity for lively discussion.

ESRC Research Seminar Series

Rethinking the urban experience: the sensory production of place

Seminar Three: Senses and Infrastructure (Friday 19th October 2007)

The Smells, Sights, Sounds, Textures and Tastes of Socio- Technical Transitions: An Exploratory Workshop

The third seminar in the series focuses on the relations between senses and the socio-technical infrastructure of everyday life. What if we re-designed infrastructure for all of our senses?  Given the pressure to develop systemic transitions in the social and technical organisation of energy, water, waste, and transport infrastructures in response to climate change and resource constraint there is a need to raise the “visibility” of networks to users. Suppose for a moment that taste, sound, touch, and odour were treated as the equals of sight. What would our infrastructure be like if sensory response, sentiment, and memory were critical design factors, the equals of structure and function? The Sensory Infrastructure workshop will explore two key themes:

1. Understanding the politics of infrastructure transitions and the (ambivalent) role of sensory perceptions – this theme focuses on the role of managed shifts in user roles in relation to infrastructure systems and the issues involved in attempting to reshape users sensory perception of infrastructure.

2. Redesigning infrastructure to enhance and extend sensory perception – this theme will focus on social groups whose sensory deprivation may constrain their abilities to effectively interact with conventional infrastructure networks and asks what it means to redesign infrastructure so that they embrace all our senses.

Booking forms can be downloaded at http://www.surf.salford.ac.uk/documents/SenseCity/Booking_Form_Sense.pdf or obtained from Vicky Simpson, Research Centre Manager, SURF at [log in to unmask].  See also http://www.surf.salford.ac.uk/CityRegional/SenseCity.htm to download the programme and abstracts. Limited funding is available to contribute towards the travel costs of PhD students and contract researchers.