Dear All,

CFP circulated on behalf of Divya Tolia-Kelly for the RGS-IBG annual conference – please contact Divya if interested ([log in to unmask]):

Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) Annual Conference, London 2008.

Session Title: Matters of Interdisciplinarity: Archaeology meets Geography

Session Convenors: Divya P. Tolia-Kelly (Durham, Geography), Rob Witcher (Durham, Archaeology), Richard Hingley (Durham, Archaeology)

ABSTRACT: In this session we aim to bring together current interdisciplinary research which bridges the disciplines of archaeology and geography. In recent geographical research the influence of anthropology (e.g. Arjun Appadurai, Daniel Miller, Chris Tilley, Barbara Bender, Chris Pinney) has been significant in the areas of visual culture, materiality and landscape. Many of our archaeological colleagues are also engaged with a post-processual, approach to landscape, monuments, ruins and sites which engage with memory, phenomenology, emotional experience, sensory textures of touch, light and sound as well as making analyses of various antiquarian sites and texts through varied theoretical approaches, including post-structural theory, post-colonial theory, cultural materialism and issues raised through political economy. The session is inspired by the AHRC’s Landscape and Environment programme (http://www.landscape.ac.uk/) which is currently funding many interdisciplinary collaborations.

  • To what intellectual effect are these interdisciplinary dialogues and partnerships?
  • What do these convergences ‘add’ to theory and method?
  • How are approaches to materiality and landscape affected and effected in this collaborative approach?

We welcome abstracts of 150 words maximum that address the themes of the session abstract. Please forward to [log in to unmask] by December 31st 2007.

Dr. Colin McFarlane

Lecturer in Human Geography

Department of Geography

Durham University