Pardon me for my political ignorance, but I don't get the motive behind a
boycott of Israeli academics. Cutting people off from active intellectual
exchanges would seem politically counterproductive (by reinforcing a sense
of 'us' versus the 'rest' sentiment) and against the academic tradition of
free speech. Also, it punishes a particular segment of the population that
really has little power to change state policy while alienating natural
allies in that country. If we boycott Israeli academics for the bad polices
of their state, in all fairness we should also boycott American academics
whose government has created a fair degree of mayhem and injustice in the
world. Iraq is just the most recent example of how US foreign policy has
devastating effects on whole regions. Oh yeah, we can't boycott American
academics because many of us are employed by American universities and/or
depend on journals and events that operate out of this country.

Walter