From: Dirk HR Spennemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 01:39:54 +1000
To: Anne Bickford <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: WWII archaeology query

Thanks Anne..sorry for delay, was in Micronesia and my laptop isdying on
me...can you post for me?

No caves on Wake or Kwajalein....coral atolls. general WWII heritage work
has been done on Kwaj and other locales in Micronesia, all sanctioned  by
the relevant historic preservation offices..some work on caves in Guam and
Palau, but very very limited due to war grave status and because they are
such potential treasure troves of achaeological infrmation..but also because
many were booby trapped by the Japanese during WWII and due the excellent
prservation conditions in the caves these booby traps are very much alive
and eminently dangerous.
The Japanese have been mounting human remains recovery missions in
 Micronesia with consent by the historic preservation offices and I
understand they have been opening caves on Iwo Jima (their jurisdiction)..
dirk