Tadhg O'Keefe and I are seeking papers for a WAC6 session titled Home
and Away: Archaeologies of Diaspora (see below for abstract and themes).
WAC6 takes place in Dublin, 29th June - 4th July 2008. Information about
the conference can be
found at: http://www.ucd.ie/wac-6/

If you are interested in contributing to the session please send us your
title and abstract by 30th November 2007 at the latest. Abstracts should
be no more than 150 words. Please include your name, postal address,
telephone number,
email address, and the name and address of your college / university
etc. We will select papers on the basis of the abstracts. We hope to
publish the session after the conference and with this in mind we may
request speakers to
produce papers for pre-circulation.

Home and Away: Archaeologies of Diaspora
Stephen A. Brighton, University of Maryland
Tadhg O¹Keeffe, University College Dublin

Diaspora is a contested term. It has historical connotations of
victimization and trauma, consequent on intolerable social and economic
conditions created by colonialism. Where once it was used with respect
to the history of Jewish population dispersal, today the term is
employed in reference to numerous trans-national immigrant or migrant
groups, especially over the last few centuries. The term¹s use is rarely
conditioned by critical evaluation on a macro-scale, or by
theoretically-informed interrogation in specific, micro-scale,
social-historical contexts. It is a term that is often and obviously
overused in narratives and analyses of population movements, and of
trans-national community networks and identities.

Structuring this WAC theme of Archaeologies of Diaspora are questions
concerning the application of diaspora theory to the study of material
culture in its broadest archaeological sense. How have diasporic groups
been studied in different places around the world? Is there social and
economic diversity within a diasporic group? Is a comparative analysis
of their experience useful? How are social identities transmitted and
transformed in the material culture of diasporic groups? What material
and social changes occur in the host group upon contact with diasporic
groups?  What differences arise from the specificities of place, and the
timing and/or motivation of dispersal? What is the relationship to
homeland? How does a diaspora affect those who remain in the homeland?

Diaspora theory provides a framework within which archaeologists can
investigate diverse communities as leave their homelands in different
circumstances and under different conditions, as they are received in
new places of settlement, and as their social identities are
reconfigured in the new lands. It allows us evaluate their real or
imaginary/imagined relationships to the people and heritage left behind
in the homeland. The sessions we propose for this theme are Diaspora
Theory and Practice in Archaeology, Diaspora and the Homeland, Diaspora
and The New Place of Settlement, Comparative Diasporas.

Stephen A. Brighton
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
Rm 0132 Woods Hall